- 300g Dark cooking Chocolate
- 5 Free-Range Egg Yolks
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 125mL Brandy
- 300mL Thickened Cream
- 250mL Espresso
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Break up chocolate and place in a bowl; sit bowl over water, ensuring that the bowl does not touch the water.
- Heat chocolate for 4 minutes, then turn heat off and leave chocolate to continue melting.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar and brandy. With a hand beater, whip ingredients until they are fluffy.
- When chocolate is completely melted, remove bowl from water and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat egg mixture and beat with a whisk in a figure-of-eight shape for 6 – 8 minutes. (Keep heat low; heating the zabaglione mixture too intensely will turn it into scrambled egg)
- When mixture begins to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and allow cooling over a bowl of ice.
- In a bowl, whip cream to form soft peaks. Stir espresso into chocolate.
- With a spatula, slowly mix zabaglione mixture into chocolate, and then gently fold in cream.
- Spoon zabaglione into glasses or a large terrine dish, and chill for 1 hour before serving.