Unadulterated Lentil Soup
- 250g Green/Brown/Black Lentils
- 1.2L Water
- 4 – 6 Garlic Cloves (sliced in quarters)
- 2 whole Bay Leaves
- ½ teaspoons Whole Peppers (Red/Black)
- ½ teaspoons Oregano (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon Organic Sea Salt
- 2 large Spanish Onions (cut in large pieces)
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Rosemary Sprigs
- 1 teaspoon Cornflour
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Oil
- ½ teaspoon Sweet Paprika (optional)
- Place the lentils onto a platter to scan and pick out any grit and off coloured lentils.
- After this step, place the lentils in a bowl of water (at least a litre of water) 24 hours prior to cooking, by replenishing with fresh water at least 2 to 3 times.
- The lentils should be hydrated and may have begun to sprout.
- In a large pot, add 1.2 litres of water, the soaked lentils along with the cloves of garlic, bay leaves, oregano, salt & pepper, onions, rosemary leaves and 12 tablespoon of oil.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes; topping up with water as required.
- When the lentils are cooked, mix the Balsamic Vinegar with the cornflour into a smooth liquid and slowly pour into the simmering soup (while stirring) until there is a slightly thick consistency.