- Olive Oil for browning shanks
- 6 fresh Lamb shanks
- 1 finely diced Brown Onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 rashes of bacon, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 400g button mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 cup of red wine
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 6 baby onions (peeled, but left whole)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large, heavy based saucepan. Brown the shanks until they appear to be half cooked, rotating constantly.
- Add the garlic, onion, bacon and cook until garlic and onion have softened and bacon has browned.
- Add all the diced vegetables and sauté’ until softened. Add the wine and stock and place baby onions in the saucepan.
- Cover with lid, bring to a soft boil and then simmer on low heat until meat is tender, approximately 40 minutes.
- Once cooked, place a serving of mashed potato onto a serving plate, and top with a lamb shank, a baby onion and drizzle with reduced liquid and vegetables.