- 2kg Mussels
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Celery Sticks
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 3 Fresh Chillies
- 2 tins of Italian diced tomatoes
- 2 x 750mL bottles of Italian tomato sauce
- ½ cup of White Wine
- Fry chopped onion and garlic in oil.
- Add chopped carrot, celery, and red capsicum. Stir until softened.
- Add white wine and reduce a little.
- Add bottles of tomato sauce and tins of tomatoes to pan with vegetables.
- Add salt.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to medium, stir occasionally and cook for 1½ to 2 hours.
- While chilli sauce is cooking, clean the mussels by debearding, cleaning and rinsing.
- Place mussels into a large saucepan, cover, cook over high heat until mussels open. Don’t add any liquid as water will come out of mussels. Once open then tip water out of pan, place on heat again to make sure excess water has come out of mussels. Tip out water again.
- Tip mussels into a large bowl. Pour over sauce and stir to combine. Discard any unopened mussels. Serve with crusty bread. Serves 4 – 6.