- 12 slices of White Bread
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 225g Mozzarella Cheese (cut into 5mm slices)
- 3 Plum Tomatoes
- ½ cup of fresh basil leaves, (plus extra to garnish)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Trim the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into four equal squares.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and brush on one side (or both sides) with half the olive oil. Bake for 3-5 minutes until the squares are pale gold.
- Remove from the oven and place the bread squares on a board with the other ingredients.
- Make 16 stacks, each starting with a square of bread, then a slice of mozzarella topped with a slice of tomato and a basil leaf.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then repeat, ending with the bread.
- Push a toothpick through each stack and place on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese begins to melt.